Phonon oddities

Leonardo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Apr 22 16:37:18 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009 15:27:26 Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >>
> >> I was under the impression that the Xine engine was the first
> >> (publically available) Phonon backend.
> >
> > Exactly, xine was the only phonon engine available when KDE 4.0 (and
> > hence the first version of phonon) was released (IIRC), only with Qt4.4
> > and the addition of phonon was a gstreamer engine available, added by
> > Trolltech back then.
>
> There has also been talk with some of the VLC guys of a VLC engine,
> which would not only be cross-platform (and should be pretty stable) but
> should (AFAIK) legally be able to play MP3s.

It exists. I dont think it's in kdesupport, but it's in one the vlc dude's git
branch. It only works against vlc .10, which on osx crashes on trying to play
anything, so the phonon backend does the same.

apparently it does work for the author though, and i still haven't tried it on
linux.

leo

--
-----