Phonon oddities

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 12:09:05 UTC 2009

2009/4/22 Martin T. Sandsmark <sandsmark at samfundet.no>

> On Wednesday 22. April 2009 13:11:24 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > I was really just lamenting that the "solution" to the gstreamers
> > engines suckiness when Qt landed it many moons ago was to replace it
> > with a xine engine rather than to make it work properly.
>
> I was under the impression that the Xine engine was the first (publically
> available) Phonon backend.

well, xine engine is far better and faster than gstreamer and i really hope
that it will never would be dropped from phonon support. xine works well
with pulseaudio since i'm not having any major issues with
pulseaudio/phonon/alsa devices on gentoo+kde4. the problems arise when i
tried to install both engines on the same installation. if you just use
kde-phonon and xine + pulseaudio and configure it according to the
configuration present on the pulseaudio site you won't have problems. just
set the working device to pulseaudio (if that's what you've called the
pulaseaudio layered device) in all the devices on your pc and you won't have
any problems having it working.

--
dott. ing. beso