Phonon oddities

Myriam Schweingruber myriam.schweingruber at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 09:50:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:34, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Andrew Stromme at 21/04/09 23:38 did gyre and gimble:
>> Yet another PulseAudio <---> Phonon conflict. Why am I not surprised....
>> I wish there were a way to determine exactly what's conflicting/going wrong in
>> these cases.
>
> It's generally the engine in question's fault really. The Xine engine,
> which seems to be favoured (although I strongly disagree with it on
> principle - Qt started gstreamer engine (where gstreamer is a library
> pretty much perfectly suited to a phonon backend) but no one in KDE land
> seemed to want to work with it)

Which is not exactly true. If the Amarok devs suggest the use of Xine,
it is simply due to the many bugs gstreamer had and for some still has
which makes it unsuitable for use with Amarok. There have been
numerous bug reports for gstreamer which were simply ignored, till we
told the Qt people to eventually check on bugzilla. The situation is
improving now, but there is still some way to go.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org