Phonon oddities

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Apr 22 08:34:37 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Andrew Stromme at 21/04/09 23:38 did gyre and gimble:
> Yet another PulseAudio <---> Phonon conflict. Why am I not surprised....
> I wish there were a way to determine exactly what's conflicting/going wrong in
> these cases.

It's generally the engine in question's fault really. The Xine engine,
which seems to be favoured (although I strongly disagree with it on
principle - Qt started gstreamer engine (where gstreamer is a library
pretty much perfectly suited to a phonon backend) but no one in KDE land
seemed to want to work with it), but it's Pulse support is nowhere near
as good as the gstreamer system. The pulse and gstreamer communities
work very well together.

I wish I had time to focus on these issues more (better Pulse->KDE (and
thus phonon) integration is very much on my todo list). I'm currently
trying to push through changes at the pulse side that will hopefully
mean a much better configuration experience in System Settings, which is
currently totally useless is pulse is used.

Not sure when this work will be done, but keep an eye on the pulseaudio
twitter feed and mailing list for information on this.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie