Amarok stopping playback seemingly "at random"?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Apr 17 13:20:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 08:01 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> I'd argue if the hangs happen at expected/predetermined times (on pause),
> that it doesn't really qualify as "at random". :)

Of course it's not completely random. It clearly has something to do
with pausing. My use of the term "at random" meant only that it doesn't
happen every time I pause, nor is it completely regular (i.e. like every
third time). Sometimes it will happen two or three pauses in a row, then
I can go a whole day of pausing when I take breaks without a hang. In
that sense, there is an element of randomness to it. What isn't random
are the symptoms. Once it hangs, I can't get it to play again without
quitting out of Amarok, killall amarok, and restarting, at which point
it will start up again at the beginning of whatever song was playing
when the hang occurred.

Next Monday when I am back in the office, I will make certain that I
test again with pulseaudio completely removed from the system and see if
I can reproduce the hangs then.

--Greg