Media support for Sony HiMD-Walkman, we know how

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Apr 16 11:18:38 UTC 2009

Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know in 2009 it's probably somewhat outdated, but some guys out
> there still own a Sony MiniDisc Walkman. Since I still like to use
> mine, me and a friend have started to reverse engineer the encryption
> of MP3s (an probably also ATRAC3 and PCM) on Sonys HiMD-Walkman and we
> already know how it works. We're working on a small and neat
> transfer-program at the moment, but we thought it might be worth
> asking here if anyone would be willing to implement a plugin for
> amarok so that HiMD-owners could sync their Walkman with amarok.

Adrian,

Sorry no one's replied, I think it's just that no one knows what to do
with it because no one has one of these  :-)

The best way to get support in Amarok would be one of two ways: write a
script using the scripting interface; or, if you want it to be a
first-class Collection, create a FDI file for HAL that gives it the
appropriate information so that Solid (and then Amarok) can detect it.
(If it just shows up as a mount point, HAL won't detect it, and it'll
have to either be treated as a generic mass-storage USB device or
handled by a custom script).

--Jeff