Media support for Sony HiMD-Walkman, we know how

Adrian Glaubitz adrian.glaubitz at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:31:24 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I know in 2009 it's probably somewhat outdated, but some guys out
there still own a Sony MiniDisc Walkman. Since I still like to use
mine, me and a friend have started to reverse engineer the encryption
of MP3s (an probably also ATRAC3 and PCM) on Sonys HiMD-Walkman and we
already know how it works. We're working on a small and neat
transfer-program at the moment, but we thought it might be worth
asking here if anyone would be willing to implement a plugin for
amarok so that HiMD-owners could sync their Walkman with amarok.

We have put all information gained so far here:

<https://wiki.physik.fu-berlin.de/linux-minidisc/>

We have decided to make not everything public, since we it's not been
assured yet whether Sony will sue us til hell (you can ask me for a
wiki-account to gain full access). But since the encryption of MP3s on
the HiMD-devices is very very simple (XOR-encryption), noone at Sony
will probably care (the ATRAC3-encryption is way more sophisticated on
the other hand, its using 3DES).

Would be great, if anyone was interested.

Adrian