Amarok 2 and iPhone/iPod Touch

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed Apr 15 16:59:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 17:42 +0100, Nicolas Will wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 12:31 -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > Nicolas Will wrote:
> > > http://www.youplala.net/~will/amarok_2.1_svn_20090415.log
> > >
> > > Here is my take: Amarok looks at HAL for information on mounted
> > volumes,
> > > looking for a media device. Apparently sshfs (fuse ssh mount used
> > > access the iPod Touch over WiFi) does not declare anything in HAL,
> > so
> > > Amarok does not find the mounted iPod Touch.
> >
> > That looks about right, yes.
> >
> > Does gtkpod use the mount-over-sshfs thing, or does it connect
> > natively?
>
> gtkpod does nothing to mount the iPod Touch, it uses mount points,
> either over ssh (iPhone/iPod Touch) or from the USB mass storage
> (regular iPods), AFAIK, but I'm no expert either.
>
> Your question is very valid, indeed, as gtkpod automatically detects
> that the sshfs mount is an iPod and shows it as an iPod. There may be
> piece of code to pick-up there :o)

hmm, I went looking for the gtkpod code that looks for iPods, and I
believe that I found it:

http://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gtkpod/gtkpod/trunk/src/autodetection.c?view=markup

It looks like it uses 2 different methods to find iPods.

The first one is through HAL, and we apparently know how good that is
with fuse mounts...

The second one is through Gnome VFS, and I believe that this will not
fly within a KDE context...

The "funny" part is that gtkpod apparently is borrowing a lot of code
from Rhythmbox. And Rhythmbox does not see my iPod Touch either.

Can someone with true code literacy take a look, there may be a 3rd
method.

Nico