suggestion: do not repeat artist

Walter Little walterplittle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 03:44:54 UTC 2008

I second the suggestion. To extend the idea a bit, maybe it could be
configurable - in other words, "don't play song by same artist for n songs."
Personally I would set such a setting to 7 or so songs before it plays
another track by the same artist.
Another possibility is to also provide some ability to "link" similar enough
artists and have the above mentioned setting take those links into account.
This is not exactly the same as what last.fm, etc. does. As an example: If
Amarok is playing a track by "10,000 Maniacs," don't play another 10,000
Maniacs track OR a Natalie Merchant track for n songs. But a track by R.E.M.
or Soul Asylum is totally acceptable for a next song - indeed there is
something to be said for maintaining consistency in style across a playlist.
I'm not necessarily suggesting that Amarok provide the specific links
automatically - I would be glad to be able to define the rules myself for my
collection.

Just some thoughts - actually these thoughts have been floating around in my
brain for 7 or 8 years now, but life kept me from being able to implement
them....

Cheers,

Walter