No mp3 sound in amarok2, but works in amarok1

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 08:00:08 UTC 2008

2008/9/3 Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com>:
> Lydia Pintscher wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 18:51, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is on Fedora F9.
>>>
>>> amarok-1.4.9 plays mp3 fine.
>>>
>>> But amarok-1.90 (from kde-redhat unstable) does not play mp3.
>>>
>>> Backend is xine.
>>>
>>> I have the following xine-related stuff:
>>> rpm -qa '*xine*'
>>> xine-lib-devel-1.1.12-2.fc9.x86_64
>>> xine-lib-extras-nonfree-1.1.12-1.lvn9.x86_64
>>> xine-0.99.5-1.lvn8.x86_64
>>> xine-lib-pulseaudio-1.1.12-2.fc9.x86_64
>>> xine-lib-arts-1.1.12-2.fc9.x86_64
>>> phonon-backend-xine-4.1.0-1.fc9.x86_64
>>> xine-lib-extras-1.1.12-2.fc9.x86_64
>>> xine-lib-1.1.12-2.fc9.i386
>>> xine-lib-1.1.12-2.fc9.x86_64
>>
>> Amarok 2 uses Phonon as the only backend.
>> Please check in systemsettings -> sound if Phonon is really using xine
>> as a backend. If not you need to install mp3-support for that other
>> Phonon-backend.
>>
> More precisely, it is set to:
> xine
> gstreamer
>
> So it is supposed to _prefer_ xine.
>
> I often see messages about some failure (something about intel blah blah) followed by a message saying it worked (these messages are popup windows that don't stick around very long), so maybe it is not using xine but falling back to gstreamer?  How would I know?

the problem is the phonon backend who cannot access the device. amarok
1.4 access directly the audio device while the second version access
it via phonon. try out another multimedia player that access the
device through phonon (like dragonplayer or kaffeine4 or kmplayer) and
if they have the same problem then you have to recompile phonon.
what makes me wonder if everything is alright is that amarok 1.4
shouldn't work with the xine-lib version that phonon requires to work
(1.1.15). you might want to check also this out. obviously if that's
the problem you have to first compile xine-lib and then recompile
phonon also. phonon needs to be recompiled in both cases (if compiling
xine-lib and without compiling it).

--
dott. ing. beso