Newbie problems (3rd try)

JWHFerguson jwhferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Sep 1 11:28:36 UTC 2008

Hi (Ama)rockers,

I started using Amarok 1.4.9.1 on Ubuntu 8 (with Gnome, not KDE) a week
ago, and find it hard to operate. I installed Amarok from the default
Ubuntu Universe library. I found the manual at
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-multimedia/amarok/index.html
but this is very basic indeed. I use Amarok to operate an iPod Classic.

My main issue is that I do not understand how Amarok constructs the
Collection. Attached are two images, the Nautilus file manager list and
the Amarok collection representation. One of the files is missing (1st
track on Nautilus list). I cannot manage to get the collection to
reflect the contents of the folder with the audio files. Highly irritating.

Secondly, I cannot use the collection manager to move audio files
between lists on the left-hand side of the collection view in order to
get the two lists to match. What gives?

Rescanning the collection using the Tools icon in the toolbar does not
solve the problem. Is there a rational explanation anywhere that will
help me to get the collection to reflect the files in the collection
folder? What is the logic followed when constructing a collection?

If the above URL is indeed the main reference for Amarok, I volunteer to
generate some documentation about interacting with an iPod (USB as well
as Bluetooth), but this assumes that I can get Amarok to operate in a
stable way.

I have not managed to find any other docs that could address the
problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Willemf