[Feedback] ampache and random play

Benjamin Kleiner bizzl.greekdog at web.de
Sat Oct 25 18:53:22 UTC 2008

On Saturday, 25. October 2008 19:45:03 Daniel Jones wrote:
> > Why don't you just query once for all entries and then do the selection
> > for the random playlist on a local copy (of the list)?
>
> It does, but its not really so simple. It can't query for tracks,
> because that involves storing information about each track which uses
> quite a lot of memory on large collections. It instead queries for
> unique ids of tracks.
And caching into an own mysql database/table isn't an option?

> I'm not sure if such an option exists for ampache (maybe it does), but
> it may still be slow. Building a random playlist is easy, but building
> a playlists with biases can sometimes involve looking at thousands of
> tracks. I'm not sure if remote a collection will be fast enough.
Well that's connection dependant. On an 100Mbit-LAN this probably will work fine.
(depends on the exact way of querying, of course. Is there an online readable documentation for ampache anywhere?)

> I'm not saying its impossible, it just won't be there in 2.0.
sure, I wasn't aiming for 2.0 anyway (Dunno about  mchugh19)