[Feedback] You rok!

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Oct 24 18:45:47 UTC 2008

simon at zip.dk wrote:
> For the 8 years I've used digital music, I've been looking for a player that
> can learn in my collection what I like and play that. There was a useable but
> not good plugin for Winamp, but it died and I did not want to spend another
> weekend installing Windows with a zillion updates, reboots and drivers.
> Soo...for many years I had to make my playlists myself. Then I found Amarok a
> week ago, and omg, it just roks! It's fast (the media scanner was amazingly
> quick - Rythmbox had to give up, Amarok took 2 minutes, not kidding), it
> starts in no time, it's really nicely polished, it can do everything I need,
> incl. a good equalizer, and: It can make my playlists.

Glad you like it!  We hope that you'll be as pleased with the upcoming
2.0 release...it sounds like you will greatly like the dynamic playlist
features with fuzzy biasing.

> Together with Digikam, Amarok will make me take a close look at Kde next time
> I install a box. Gnome works good for me, but if Kde is a good as these two
> programs...

Between the two, I feel that KDE is where innovation happens.  We've got
a great toolkit in Qt (compared to GTK, which feels stagnant, especially
after looking at the upcoming 3.0 release), we've got great libraries on
top of it, and our applications make great use of those libraries.  I'll
let you make comparisons for yourself (keep in mind that Firefox and
OpenOffice base their X11 widgets on GTK but are not really GNOME-based
programs), but I'd recommend checking out K3B, Kopete, KOffice,
KDevelop, Dolphin, the large selection of KDE Games, and if you're
looking at KDE 4 (not all of these programs have KDE4 versions stable
yet), check out the KDE Edu packages too, like KStars, Step, and Kalzium.

Obviously all of those applications work fine running under Gnome, but I
think if you compare the Plasma Workspace to the GNOME desktop, you'll
find it rather favorable too...  :-)

--Jeff