[Feedback] Some feedback on amarok

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Oct 9 21:54:33 UTC 2008

bas at dds.nl wrote:
> Bas Janssen sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> Hi amarok squad,
>
> First things first... Thanks for making the next best thing since sliced
> bread! Amarok is imho the best mp3 player around!

Thanks!

> I have a few small issues/suggestions for amarok, and was wondering where to

<snip>

The 1.4 series is in total feature freeze, being updated only in the
case of security or other major and specific bugs.

The 2.0 series is essentially a total rewrite, and not all 1.4 features
will be in the initial 2.0 release, so hold on to your thoughts until
you get a chance to check it out (and don't be scared if some things are
currently missing).

> I did not test  the beta yet, so excuse me if some of these issues are
> covered already. I don't use KDE (sorry, gnome fanboy for years ;-) but  I'm
> really glad running amarok in gnome is possible without *any* problems!

GNOME fanboy?  I guess there are all types of people out there  :-P

> One final question: Is it safe to compile and run amarok from source when
> running (apt version) of amarok on hardy with gnome? Or is there a chance
> that I'll ruin my existing amarok installation?

Well, when you compile amarok from source, nothing says you have to run
a "make install" -- I believe that downloading the source tree and
compiling it and running in-tree should work fine, and be the new version.

That being said, there are fixes to certain things between versions, the
most important being the database.  If the database schema has changed,
you won't be able to go back to the old version, so do make sure you
back it up.

> Really looking forward to 2.0!

It'll rok.

--Jeff