Export playlist, dcop usage, etc.

Nils Schlupp nils.schlupp at gmail.com
Fri May 16 03:02:37 UTC 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 21:32:13 Bill Moseley wrote:
> Some beginner questions.
>
> Are play lists saved in the database or as m3u files?
There is a table in the amarok database called playlists, but it is empty. I
have playlists in the folder ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/playlists

> Now, how do I export a play list to an m3u file?  If I "Load" one of
> the save playlists and then do Playlist/Save Playlist As it will save
> it to the .m3u file I specify but also then creates a listing in the
> "Playlists" tree.
It seems that this option is used to save the .m3u file in a specified
location rather then in the default location mentioned above. It seems you
can create the playlists like this, them copy/move them, and then just delete
them in the amarok playlists tree.

> Also, I like the Queue feature to queue a song to play next.
> If I have a filename of a song on disk is there a way via dcop to tell
> Amarok to queue that file?  I want to be able to use dcop to insert a
> song into the current playlist.
Check the Amarok Dcop docs:
http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/extragear-multimedia/amarok/the-dcop-interface.html

> Finally, is there a way to tell Amarok to ignore "The " at the start
> of artist's names?  "Beatles" and "The Beatles" end up sorted
> differently in the playlist view.  The Collection view seems to know
> that those are the same.
The easiest thing I can think of is to simply change the artist of all these
files to either Beatles or The Beatles. Its what I did, took 5 minutes, and
everything is working like a charm.

Nils Schlupp