RF Remote Control Suggestions?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue May 13 20:08:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 02:48:33PM +0300, Gleb Litvjak wrote:
> On Monday 12 May 2008 09:33:09 Bill Moseley wrote:
> > I'm looking for an inexpensive remote to use with Amarok.  I need one
> > that is RF as the machine is not near where the remote will be used.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Almost all TV tuners have a remote control, and they are supported well under
> Linux. You can make your own remote control sensor, and use it with USB2COM
> adapter and any remote. Or see the LIRC homepage for a list of supported
> remotes available commercially. You can even plug in a Bluetooth dongle into
> your box and use your mobile as a remote (I think I saw the relevant software
> @kde-apps.org).

I booted my old machine and found that the remote still was writing to
a FIFO device.

So, I just created a small Perl script that listens for connections on
a socket and passes commands to Amarok via dcop, and then on the old
machine a script that connects to the Amarok machine over the LAN,
then reads from the FIFO in a loop. I debounce all the keys except
volume, and then send the action to the server to be passed on to
Amarok.  Works like a charm.

I also ordered a Serial to USB cable, although I'm not quite sure how
to use that on Linux.  Seems like I'd have to program the serial end
of the cable to work at the right BAUD rate, etc.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org