GSOC: Amarok 2 Virtual CD Collection (2nd Draft)

Leon York cocaneon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 13:49:22 UTC 2008

Thanks for the suggestion about the QT Thread library. Looks perfect for
what I'm doing. I'll probably have a play about with it before I get started
on the project.

With regards to using freetype fonts, I have found a useful library,
"OGLFT", but it is under the "GNU Library or Lesser General Public License
(LGPL)" license. I'm not sure if this is suitable for Amarok. Could anyone
tell me?

I think the idea about using, what is currently the album axis, as the
artist axis (and vice versa) is a good idea - Displaying all the albums of
one artist would be much more useful than being able to see the next 5 or 6
artists you're going to scroll through.

About the idea of switching it so that the artists run through vertically, I
am unsure. There will be text at the top of this display showing the album
and artist. The CDs may get in the way of this. I also prefer having it
"widescreen"! But I was thinking maybe if the ratio of the centre panel goes
beyond a certain ratio (say 2:3) in width:height, then the whole thing could
turn by 90 degrees (a bit ipod-esque, I know). I'm not sure if I'd have time
to code this aswell. I'd quite like to get a reasonable working version for
the end of GSoC, then continue working on it - I can't promise too much in
my proposal!

Apologies for this being such a long email, but I'm working on a mock-up at
the moment. I'll email it round tonight.

Leon