Google SoC - Mass Tagging

Michael Pujos pujos.michael at laposte.net
Tue Mar 25 21:49:26 UTC 2008

Jerry Lin a écrit :

> Hey guys,
>

> I have just drafted up my application to Google SoC. This is my first
> proposal written of this nature so any constructive criticism would be
> appreciated.
>

> I am proposing to add mass tagging features to Amarok.

I would limit the scope of your tagging proposal to tagging from www
sources having well definied APIs such as discogs, freedb, musicbrainz etc.
This subset in itself quite a bit of work, and more challenging than it
looks to get it right

You could design a generic framework to manage different www sources
with different capabilities (not all sources offer the same information)
without limiting you the the least common denominator.

Typically the user would select tracks of an album (not necessarily all
tracks), and the www source tagger would have it's own
UI through a single or several popups to find the correct album,
eventually match local and remote tracks (you could have an
auto-matching algorithm but it's some work),
and write the actual tags according to the user preferences (the user
should be able to select which tags are written). Finally you'd update
the data in the collection to reflect the changes.

Naturally TagLib would be used for this and you'd manage all the format
TagLib manage.

PS:  I'm a developper but not an Amarok developper, and I've written the
discogs plugin for foobar2000.