A GSoC Idea

Daniel Jones danielcjones at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:05:52 UTC 2008

I had an idea which I think would be fun to work on as a GSoC project.

I'm interested in the possibility of bias is dynamic playlists. Already smart
playlists allow a playlists to be conjured up that meet strict conditions. My
idea is to do something very similar, but with non-strict conditions, or
biases.

For instance, rather than a smart playlist consisting of only songs you
haven't heard before, we could create a biased playlist which just prefers
unheard tracks, to a variable extent. More complex biases could be added to
make very customizable yet suprising playlists. I'm imagining something
almost like a graphic equalizer for playlist composition. As far as I know,
no other media players have anything like this.

This isn't a trivial problem to solve and I'm still in the midst of
researching it. But, it seems like something up my alley, as well as
something that could be a unique feature for amarok. It's an idea I'm very
interested in developing further.

Has anything like this been considered yet? Does anyone have any thoughts on
how this would fit in with existing smart playlists and dynamic playlists?
Or, would this even be a useful feature?

Daniel Jones