GSoC Amarok Context View Application: Draft 2

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 03:43:36 UTC 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 10:54 PM, William Viana wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> here is my second application draft. As before any feedback is
> welcome.
>
> http://socios.aditel.org/~wviana/GSoC2008_Application.pdf

It looks good. Typo: bellow -> below.

But seriously... the first task, resizing applets, is pretty trivial.
That basically requires us telling plasma that we want to be able to
resize Applets, which means not setting ourselves as a
CustomContainment (one line change).

The layout i agree is probably one of the diciest parts to deal with.
The currently FlowLayout-like layout is basically working but
definitely  needs a lot of work. I REALLY like the virtual desktops/
zooming idea. I think that would be really awesome to have, so i'm
definitely 100% behind you on that.

Regarding packaging, I think the biggest task is not working with the
AppletBrowser, which is relatively polished, but more with the
Plasma::Package classes. The goal is to be able to write an Amarok
Applet, package it as one amarokapplet file (like a plasmoid), which
contains within itself all that amarok needs to lay it out and install
it. This already exists in plasma, but (might) need tweaking and
reworking to fit amarok.

With this in mind, i suggest extending the packaging project time to 2
weeks and reducing the applet development to 2 weeks, but it's up to
you.

Nevertheless, this is a very strong proposal and i really think it has
a shot!

leo