SoC Media Devices Collection

Alejandro Wainzinger aikawarazuni at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:14:06 UTC 2008

Hello all.  I'm hoping to sign up for the SoC and I'd like to expand on the
idea of a collection provider for media devices.  The project proposal
listed on the idea list is self-explanatory, but I'd like to expand on
issues of the past, and ideas for features in addition to integrating the
media device framework into amarok 2.  I'm not sure how much of this is too
ambitious, so I hope you all can help me find out.

Personally, in amarok 1.4.x my main issues with the media device part of the
program were auto-recognition and connection of the music device, the speed
of song list import for iPods, issues with the automatic calling of
ipod-read-sysinfo-extended not working and the itunes lock file, and the
taking in and use of data about playcount of songs to send to services such
as last.fm, and also synchronisation of album cover art (an issue related to
libgpod's capabilities with iPod classics, which may since have been
remedied in libgpod).  While the latter two issues have manual workarounds,
amarok really should be taking care of it.  The iTunes software can choose
to synchronise music and playlists between the iPod and iTunes
automatically, which would be of great use instead of having to remember to
copy downloaded songs to the iPod later on (and this could be expanded to
work with all media devices).

I have more ideas, but I want to first gauge if I'm aiming in the right
direction to building ideas for a proposal.  I have an iPod classic 80gb to
work with.  I'm familiar with C++, am learning Qt and have not done any
programming using KDE libraries before.  I learn quickly enough, just want
to know if I have the background which could get this job done in 3 months.

I am "xevix" on freenode, and frequently hang around in #amarok, and
appreciate all feedback.