GSoC Draft Proposal

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Fri Mar 21 03:54:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> On 21/03/2008, Ryan Zeigler <zeiglerr at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >  I am in the process of writting a proposal to work on the "Media Devices as
>  >  Collection Providers" project, which I have put online at
>  >  http://users.dickinson.edu/~zeiglerr/SocProposal.pdf . If anyone could spare
>  >  some time to read it and provide feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>  Hi Ryan,
>  An excellent proposal, if I may say so myself. You seem to be one of
>  the few to understand how important it is to communicate your timeline
>  and expected unavailabilities from the beginning.
>
>  With regards to the actual proposal, obviously access to media devices
>  are one of the most important features of Amarok. I believe that Jeff
>  Mitchell has already made some groundwork on solid based access to the
>  devices, as well as the foundations for the entire media device
>  subsystems. Perhaps a more noble end pursuit would be the
>  implementation of media device synchronisation, as this has never been
>  a feature in Amarok. I'm not sure how much street cred you would get
>  for a proposal which simply reimplements existing functionality from
>  Amarok 1.4. Syncing a device is not a trivial objective, and would be
>  well received by the community.

Ryan has been communicating with Jeff and I. Ryan, you might want to
mention that. ;)

I think it is a pretty big project, obviously in Amarok 1.4 media
devices were not collection providers. And Ryan wants to do so for
devices without a on-board database, so that's certainly nothing like
in 1.4.

Also there will be just a lot of work involved getting media devices
to work again period, since they haven't been touched much in the past
year.

Ian