Hello amarok developers

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:02:02 UTC 2008

Hi Thomas.

That sounds cool, and I would love to mentor such a project. I
actually got a mail from Mp3Tunes this morning asking if there was any
interest in this kind of a project. So it is definitely something they
are interested in as well. The big issue is whether their API for
these thins is dovumented at all ( which I get the impression that
they are not ) so there might be a lot of reverse engineering of their
open source client involved. You should probably get in touch with
them and ask them what they think. I can get you some contact info for
some people there.

Mp3Tunes has promised that they will clean up their API and document
it, but I had an idea for a simmilar project that would circumvent
this issue, while still making the eventual Mp3Tunes resynchronization
much simpler to implement. Our integrated Ampache service works with
an API that is very simmilar to the Mp3Tunes one. Ampache does
currently not support synching, but at it is a free software project,
this is something that could be added. The benefit of doing this
project, would be that the Amarok framework would be prepared for
synching with other services as well, and as everything is quite well
abstracted, this would also greatly benefit Mp3Tunes synching when
they are ready for it. Anyway, that was just an idea if the Mp3Tunes
thing turns out to be impossible at this time.

In general, I have not done much beyond basic streaming of content
stored on your Mp3Tunes account, so I am sure a lot of improvements
are possible.

Do let me know what you think, and remember that the deadline for
proposals are on monday the 24th.

- Nikolaj