Summer of Code

Errikos Koen ke49 at uop.gr
Mon Mar 17 19:03:01 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am interested in participating in this year's Summer of Code for
amarok. My interest is particularly in the mass tagging feature.

It's true that most people have poor tagged tracks but they also don't
want to spend time correcting them themselves, so the solutions I
suggest are oriented on minimum user input.

The first approach is automatic. If the user has a whole album (ripped
from a CD), information can be fetched from CDDB-like sites and tracks
can be tagged immediately.

If this method fails the user can specify a few details for an album
like the artist and album title and information fetched online can
again automatically tag the tracks. Also live feedback of proposed
results can help the user choose the correct data.

Finally for the more "advanced" users there is a mass-oriented tagging
mechanism. This can use simple pattern recognition mechanisms on the
filenames and try to guess the tags. Any mistakes made should be easy
and quick to identify and correct by the user.

At all times the user must be informed (and asked) of any changes made
to the file tags.

I hope you find my suggestion interesting.

--
Errikos Koen

ke49 at uop.gr

University of Peloponnese