Portable database

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 19:09:22 UTC 2008

I will for sure be looking at this once I finally get things running on my
end, as the lack of a portable db has long been a thorn in my side.

aside from this amarok's windows release should strive to work as a portable
app http://portableapps.com

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Sven Jacobs <sven.jacobs at web.de> wrote:

> Dear Amarok developers,
>
> first of all thank you for this great piece of software! I have an idea
> which may make Amarok even better:
>
> My music collection is stored on an USB drive, a scenario which is quite
> common nowadays. The problem is that I'm using my music collection on
> several computers and plug the drive in where it's needed (notebook,
> home center PC et cetera). Since Amarok stores the database in the users
> home directory there's no central database for my collection. All
> settings and statistics from one database are not available in the other
> and vice versa. As you can imagine this is quite annoying and the reason
> I haven't really using such fine features like song ratings yet.
>
> My suggestion is that Amarok should also be capable of storing the
> database in the root folder of the music collection on the portable
> media. Let's say the collection is stored in /media/myusbdrive/music
> then the database could be placed in /media/myusbdrive/music/.amarok
> when in "portable mode". You still have to configure the locations of
> your music within Amarok but once it finds a portable database within
> one of these locations, it's using it for this directory and all
> subdirectories.
>
> This could be a nice project for Google's Summer of Code ;)
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Sven Jacobs

Caleb Cushing

This email was made using the gmail interface and is not pgp signed,
therefore is not an 'official' email.