Portable database

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Fri Mar 14 10:47:32 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008, Sven Jacobs wrote:
> Dear Amarok developers,
>
> first of all thank you for this great piece of software! I have an idea
> which may make Amarok even better:
>
> My music collection is stored on an USB drive, a scenario which is quite
> common nowadays. The problem is that I'm using my music collection on
> several computers and plug the drive in where it's needed (notebook,
> home center PC et cetera). Since Amarok stores the database in the users
> home directory there's no central database for my collection. All
> settings and statistics from one database are not available in the other
> and vice versa. As you can imagine this is quite annoying and the reason
> I haven't really using such fine features like song ratings yet.
>
> My suggestion is that Amarok should also be capable of storing the
> database in the root folder of the music collection on the portable
> media. Let's say the collection is stored in /media/myusbdrive/music
> then the database could be placed in /media/myusbdrive/music/.amarok
> when in "portable mode". You still have to configure the locations of
> your music within Amarok but once it finds a portable database within
> one of these locations, it's using it for this directory and all
> subdirectories.

This is kind of supported. Amarok will use a sqlite database at a different
location than the default one if it finds a special setting in amarokrc.
You have to add the following two lines to amarokrc:
[Sqlite]
location=<path to your collection.db>

You might have to write a script that sets the path automatically if the
database file is on an USB drive.

Sqlite is supposed to be a "no configuration needed" default, that's why this
is a hidden option (which probably none of the other devs knows about
either;)

> This could be a nice project for Google's Summer of Code ;)
>
> What do you think?

no