GSoC thoughts and questions

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Mar 12 14:08:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Daniel Winter <dw at danielwinter.de> wrote:
>  1. Nepomuk Storage:
>
>  I am really excited about the things Nepomuk will hopefully do for KDE and its
>  applications sometime in the far future.
>
>  And i hope to see labels back in Amarok 2 soon.
>
>  BUT: Nepomuk, SPARQL and RDF are completely new to me. (ok well, I read the
>  short Nepomuk dev introduction a few weeks ago).
>
>  I am afraid  that that is over the scope of the GSoC if done right because of
>  the lot of learning and getting into the new technologies. Maybe i am wrong
>  here.
>
>  Also If i am correct, the KDE-Nepomuk guys are working on an simpler
>  convenience API to Nepomuk for common uses in KDE programs. So maybe it is
>  better to wait for them? I am not sure if that would even be complex enough
>  for the needs of Amarok.
>
>  For this project i will first go in contact with the nepomuk devs.

All the projects listed take a bit more research. This one perhaps
more then others. :) Yea if you could investigate the status of
Nepomuk on KDE. Dolphin already uses Nepomuk and we're not wanting to
do anything that strange with it.

Really I think this is the most interesting proposal on the list.

>  2. Mass Tagging:
>
>  Mass Tagging is nice but here it is critical to find a really good solution
>  for the GUI of it. Just take the easytag look and copy it will not work well
>  (and also i think Amarok should not copy other software) in Amarok.
>
>  I would go for it and try to find a good solution for the gui. But here i
>  would like to find out if i can make up with something that I and you (the
>  Amarok devs and Users) would like before i even write the proposal. So a lot
>  of talking and thinking about it before would be needed here.
>
>  The problem: The deadline for the proposal is quite soon.

You have 12 days!! Should be plenty. And that's just the earliest you
can propose. Just look at other mass tagging solutions (JuK, EasyTag,
Picard) and come up with some ideas.

I actually proposed this idea for the first Google Summer of Code. I
was thinking of doing something album-oriented, as opposed to
track-oriented. But we have better technology now, so I dunno.

>  If you say we would like to see your proposal on this, well than you would see
>  me in IRC the next days and i will come up with a few ideas about it the next
>  days and will post them here to get your comments on it.
>
>  If you already have a few ideas for the gui I would be happy to hear them.
>
>  3. CD-Cover-Stack/Tower view for Collection Browser
>
>  This was in discution on amarok at kde.org the last days. I think i have now
>  understood the cd-stack idea.
>
>  But to be honest: I am not an artist at all. So at least I would need some
>  help by an artist to make a few nice graphics (I know that there are not a
>  lot graphics needed, but the few should be done nice).  Also i have never
>  done any 3D programming before, but i think it could be fun to learn it. But
>  eventually   it would be better if someone with good knowlege would go for it
>  altough the 3D things here would be quite basic.

I don't really understand what graphics would be needed at all.
Granted I also don't know 3D stuff.

>  Generally: I know C++  and some Qt4 (not that much, played around with it a
>  little and read the book from Daniel Molkentin about it). Qt4 seems to be
>  really well designed and easy to understand.
>
>  Ok, so know i would like to here your thoughts and meanings. For what would
>  you like to see me write a proposal?
>
>  And sorry for my quite poor english. If i really write a proposal it would be
>  nice if some native speaker could help me to make the spelling and grammar
>  acceptable.

Well your English looks fine to me, but I have this awesome ability to
not see mistakes people write. ;)