gsoc 2008 projects

Delia Arsinte delia.arsinte at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 08:04:43 UTC 2008

Hello,

My name is Delia, I am a 3rd student at the University of Bucharest, major
computer science and I would like to contribute to amarok through the summer
of code program. I have been using Amarok for two years and I consider that
it is the most complex and complete music player. Therefore I am eager to
help it grow.

I have already read the ideas list posted at
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/2008/Ideas#Amarokand
I am interested in two projects: mass tagging and playlists and
playlists browser..

1) Tagging system
I think the tagging system would be very useful for many users that have
large playlists. I have about 8000 melodies in my playlist and sometimes the
search system when you have many untagged files is not enough to listen to
specific genre of music. A album based tagging system like the one in
picardQT would be suitable for amarok.

I already installed pircardQT and I played a little bit with it. The idea is
very nice, but I think picardQTs interface is not so intuitive and it does
not support the mp3 format, at least it didn't work on my computer.  The
EasyTag interface is very nice, I am thinking to propose a similar GUI, but
with PicardQT's functionalities. As stated before, it is quite hard to
design a proper interface that everyone likes. I already have some ideas,
but I need to think about it a little bit more.

2) Playlist and playlist browser

This is a very nice project. I had problems with the playlist for large
number of melodies in the past, now things are a lot better, but still it
needs improvements. I need to investigate the problem a little bit more.

I will also be on the IRC channel for further discussion.

Best Regards,
Dela