coverflow for amarok 2

Sam Fielder srf10130 at vtc.vsc.edu
Sun Mar 9 20:25:01 UTC 2008

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
> Sunday 09 March 2008 Daniel Winter wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 9. März 2008 21:01:39 schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen:
>>>   While we are aware of CoverFlow, we are also aware of the inherent
>>> uselessness of the concept... We do, however, recognise the potential
>>> usefulness of eyecandy, and so we set out to figure out a way of making
>>> CoverFlow itself useful. What we came up with was the CD Stack idea.
>>> Please check out the KDE Summer of Code page[2] for more information on
>>> this :)
>>>
>>> [2] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2008/Ideas#Amarok
>> Hello,
>>
>> as others already said, both cover view concepts are somehow useless.
>>
>> Cover flow has the advantage that you can really see the covers. I don't
>> can image that with that cd stack idea. Although i see the point that the
>> cd stack better fits in amaroks vertical collection view.
>
>   If it seems like that, then my presentation of the idea is not clear enough.
> You basically need to imaging CD Stack as a CoverFlow put on its side.
>
>> Well i really like the idee to use the cover images to navigate in my
>> collection. It brings eyecandy and well i know my cds from the real world
>> with covers bring move that feeling over to the virtual collection in
>> amarok would be cool. But well i can not see a way to make it really
>> usefull.
>>
>> Looking on the back of the cds like with the cd stack idea you don't see
>> much of the covers. So you are not able to distinct the albums from each
>> others.
>
>   In a stack of CDs, you have *both* the covers and the CD side label (as the
> CDs aren't really a stack - as such the idea should probably be called CD
> Tower in stead, but... anyway)
>
>> Maybe there is a way for a vertical cower flow. For example as you look
>> from above on cds standing in a drawer. And well you then browse through
>> it. But to make that look nice you need the backcovers of the cds. But well
>> most people will not have backcover images of their cds. And amazon doesn't
>> provide them either.
>>
>> DanielW

I think the developers are missing the point of a "coverflow" type of
application.

The usefulness (and why people love the i-* interface) is that it allows
your human visual processing find what you are looking for infinitely
faster than using a text based system.

I suggest that the developers go find someone with itunes, an iphone or
ipod and do some benchmarking tests and see how much faster it is to
visually search for a specific album, than scrolling thru a text
list.(especially with a large 20Gb + collection)

the stack or tower idea is ok, but it needs to address the speed issue
of searching. or don't bother, because amarok is already a great
application. I can't wait for a 2.0 to be released, hope it happens soon.

sam