transKode

Juan Pablo Romero Méndez jpablo.romero at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:00:40 UTC 2008

2) While I prefer Ruby over Python, threads support is
>  lame in the first, so Python might actually be the only reasonable language
>  choice.

I'm not sure, in python all thread uses just one core.

That's not an terrible problem as some people surely prefer
>  Python over Ruby... just not me. 3) Porting will most likely carry other
>  problems as well. For instance, most encoders dialogs are currently Qt
>  Designer dialogs (XML files), code generated at compile time and
>  subclassed, I don't think QtRuby nor PyQt can handle this.

I think PyQt can. Not sure about QtRuby.

As I see it, is not really feasible to make transcode a "pure" script,
because of the relative low performance of python (or ruby) compared
to C/C++.

Another problem, is, as I mentioned, that you can't use more than one
core within a python program. Obviously a transcoding process would
greatly benefit from access to (posible) several cores (4 in my case).

The solution would involve making a c/c++ extension to (say) python
(with sip or swig), and within the extension using something like
OpenMP (very easy, btw).

  Juan Pablo