[Feedback] please allow for seperating of collection, playlist, and main windows

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jun 28 13:35:28 UTC 2008

gnounc at gmail.com wrote:
>   I come from a wimamp background. Amarok is fantastic. It does everything
> i want it to do and does it well,
> but the interface is very large. I havent tried a nightly build yet, but
> im hoping that the widgets you are adding will allow for seperate
> collection playlist and main windows.

As far as I know, this is not going to be possible in Amarok2. In
Amarok1 there was a small "mini-player" window that you could use - It
looked very similar to Winamp at the time and some people liked it.
Personally I hate it!

That said, one of the things that *is* possible is communicating with
Amarok from a third party program and creating your own display. See
kirocker on Amarok1. It was a full screen system that worked really well
during e.g. parties where you didn't want the full UI to be visible, but
perhaps wanted to tell people the current song and what the next one
will be etc.

In addtion, I'm not super up-to-date with how everything is done in
Amarok2. I'm not quite sure how far the plasmification goes... perhaps
separating out the major bits of the UI is possible?