cover fetching

Markus Straub markus-straub at gmx.at
Wed Jul 30 08:07:25 UTC 2008

Hi list,

I wanted to know if there is a chance of cover fetching being improved
with Amarok 2. The cover manager itself is pretty nifty, but the source
(amazon) just can't deliver covers if the music is not popular and
western. No chance for not so popular music, vinyl releases, etc..
A combination of discogs.com and last.fm (both provide an API) immensely
increases the amount of correctly fetched covers and reduces false
positives in comparison the the original cover fetcher in Amarok 1.4.

I would really like to see this feature in Amarok 2. I wrote a Cover
Fetcher script which does exactly this, but it would be mutch better if
the built in manager could support this.
So here is the proof of concept that discogs & last.fm perform great:
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Amarok+Discogs+Cover+Fetcher?content=83909

Cheers,
Markus