[Feedback] Auto Update Paths in Playlists in case of moved files.

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jul 16 00:28:36 UTC 2008

rkrig at gmx.de wrote:
> Robert Krig sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> I setup Amarok on a friends computer. She likes to organise all her music
> through playlists. Due to a new hardrive, the directories containing her
> music have changed. Now all of the playlists can't find the actual tracks
> anymore since the'yre still looking for them in the old place.
>
> It seems the only solution is to delete each playlist and start over.
>
> Is there perhaps a better way? The tracks themselves haven't changed. Still
> the same with unchanged ID3 tags and all that. I also tried updating and
> renewing the amarok music database, but to no avail.

You're a *little* late to the party  :-)

There's a feature in 1.4 called AFT - Amarok File Tracking.  You can
read about it on our wiki.  It does exactly what you want, providing for
seamless playback and such even as files move -- except it does it for
almost everything *except* playlists.  The reason is that playlists were
stored on disk in a format that made the necessary metadata to do the
tracking impossible.

The good news is that AFT, while likely not in Amarok 2.0(.0(.0)) (I had
planned to try to hurry up and get it in there but some interesting life
events have pulled me away from things for the moment), will appear
again in the A2 series, and it *will* support playlists, because this
time playlists will be stored in the database until they are exported.

So, it's coming.  Your friend will be happy.  (Bonus: I don't think any
other player does this, so your friend can extoll the virtues of Amarok
to all her friends!)

--Jeff