Spam on amarok.kde.org

Mark mark at geekhive.net
Thu Jul 10 06:49:40 UTC 2008

Hi all,

The site uses MediaWiki, no?  I've got some experience with spam fighting
on MediaWiki sites which I'd be glad to share.

Basically it comes down to giving editors the ability to blacklist certain
kinds of unwanted edits.  Particularly URLs or URL fragments.  Tim Starling
wrote a really useful MW extension for this.

The next, more aggressive step would be allow the blocking of certain regex
from the text of the article, and not just URLs.  A lot of spammers follow
pretty predictable patterns in their posts.  Sometimes they tend to use
material found from a particular blog or forum, so you can look for
verbatim copying from that source.  For instance there's a forum belonging
to an English motor racing marshal the contents have been spammed all over
the net.

Anyhow, I'm here to help if I can.

all the best,

-mark