Sync Amarok

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Jul 3 03:11:55 UTC 2008

Alan Ezust wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Jeff Mitchell
> <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
>> So does your lack of understanding.  For the record, Amarok by default
>> also writes ID3v1 tags, so players that cannot read the ID3v2.4 tag
>> should still be able to read the ID3v1 tag.
>
> What does that have to do with anything? id3v1 doesn't help me at all,
> because the extended tag data I'm trying to sync with amarok is
> comment (does not exist in id3v1)

Actually, comment does exist in id3v1.

> or genre (which gets clobbered with
> a small subset of possible values).
>
> So anyway, now I have to run eyeD3 on my entire MP3 collection before
> using any libid3tag based program (of which there are probably many
> others out there).

You mean the old, unmaintained, last-release-was-5-years-ago id3lib.  As
I said in my previous email, libid3tag from the mad project is, like
TagLib, ID3v2.4 only.

And yes, there are programs out there which still rely on id3lib.
Mostly, like id3lib, old, relatively unmaintained programs.

I don't quite understand your frustration here.  It's analogous, given
the dates of the tag specification releases, of you wanting to run a 2.2
Linux kernel for some odd reason, say, because you just really like its
API, although sometimes you instead want to run a 2.6 kernel because you
really like the hardware support, and then complaining that you have to
reboot when switching back and forth.

--Jeff