"dual booting" Amarok 2.0 (Windows / Linux)

Christie Harris dangle.baby at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 21:59:37 UTC 2008

On 12/01/2008, at 2:38 PM, Shane King wrote:

> Shane King wrote:
>> Ian Monroe wrote:

>>> Those other programs aren't keeping track of files then I suppose.
>>> Since Amarok stores path information of music in the colleciton, and
>>> paths are going to differ between Windows and Linux, sharing an
>>> Amarok
>>> database between two computers or two operating systems doesn't
>>> happen
>>> for "free." Someone will have to work at it to make it function
>>> correctly.
>>
>> I think it could be made to work if we treated collection folders the
>> same way we do media devices, and stored relative paths against the
>> collection folder (since the paths of the collection folders are
>> stored
>> in the config file, not the db).
>>
>> Then again, I don't really get the need for it: the collection db is
>> just a cache of info in the file tags. Scanning twice isn't that
>> much of
>> a pain, is it?
>
> To answer my own question ... I guess some people care about the
> stats.
> Last.fm is the solution to that IMO. They even do backups for you. ;)

Last.fm is all very well, but it doesn't help if you like to use
smart playlists based on your personal play stats, scores and ratings.
I think portability of the database would be an excellent idea (with
os x as well, if possible) and would certainly be a massive feather
in Amarok's cap, and a real boost to music portability. I suspect
there will be quite a few people in the same situation as the
original poster - I know I would certainly take advantage of the
feature for all 3 OSs.

Cheers, Christie