External drive issue

Dave Walker davew33 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 00:09:44 UTC 2008

<much snippage>

> Started Amarok
> selected the mountpoint as the media directory as well as a local directory
> scanned
> quit amarok
> umounted the drive
> started Amarok and all files still showed as being in the collection
> Quit Amarok
> mounted the drive
> successfully played a file
> quit Amarok
> umounted the drive
> started Amarok
> clicked a file
> got the message "Attempting to insert nothing into the playlist"
> all files disappeared
> quit Amarok
> mounted the drive
> new scan started automatically.
>
> KDE 4.0 (Don't have 3.x here at the office)
> Mounted the drive
> Started Amarok
> Selected the mountpoint and a local directory
> Scanned
> Quit Amarok
> Oddly enough the same results
>
> I am starting to think it might be working only on KDE 3.5 and that is fine.
> I will still use Amarok but just be annoyed when I change drives...

Mark, I'm still on kde 3.5.8, so that's not the problem.

After apologizing to Jeff (and yes, I felt I owed him an apology), I
tried what he said he'd done before heading in to work this morning.

I mounted the external drive, and then started amarok. Collection was
there, as expected.

I then shut amarok down and unmounted the drive. Started amarok. No
collection. That was what I expected.

Stopped amarok and remounted the external drive. Restarted amarok. The
collection was back. I said "damn". Two weeks ago I'd have been
hearing the external drive churning away from across the room as
amarok rescanned the collection. At this point I was thinking I owed
Jeff an even larger apology.

When I came home for lunch, I played some more, mounting and
unmounting, starting, stopping and restarting. At some point I
triggered something; the hard drive activity indicator lit up and I
heard the all-too-familiar churning of the collection being rescanned.
I fired up mysql to run "select * from albums", and got an empty set
in return.

So my problem seems to be intermittent. And those are hardest of
problems to track down. Jeff's been real patient, though. And I think
we'll figure out what's going on here. So don't give up hope just yet.

And thanks again, Jeff. You've been super helpful...
--
Dave

--
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty or security."