External drive issue

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Feb 22 20:21:51 UTC 2008

mark.potter at academy.com wrote:

> I do use Gnome by default but I have tried this in kde (3.x and 4.0)
> to see if it was a Gnome issue and I had the same issues. I actually
> did that first because Gnome is not kde and Amarok is a kde project. I
> really wish that Gnome and kde would get along better because my
> choice of desktop should preclude me from cool features in great
> software. Before I go off on a cooperation in open source rant I'll
> stop this train of thought and move on.

Gnome and KDE are making strides to work better together -- KDE even
going so far as to adopt some new "standard" technologies when it
already had perfectly working (sometimes superior) technologies in
place.  DCOP vs. DBus for example.  As I understand it, the Gnome folks
don't generally reciprocate (but feel fine complaining).  But I'll not
rant either...just know that interoperability is something that is
definitely desired, but it has to be worked at both ways.

But the reason I brought up Gnome wasn't to say something like, you're
using Gnome so I'm not going to help you.  The reason I brought it up
was because we've seen a situation in the past where if you're running
Gnome and have not started other KDE apps (so that KDED isn't running)
the MediaManager module doesn't initialize fast enough to answer the
initial queries to it over DCOP.  So I wanted to see if this might be
something similar (although that issue was fixed, for the symptoms we
saw before).

> saved the database of files based on that then I could plug in any
> drive, scan it, and be good to go anytime I plugged it in and selected
> the drive. It could even be done by mountpoint on Ubuntu but I realize
> that won't work everywhere which is why I suggested volume name. I
> understand the dynamic collection is supposed to work in this manner
> but it really doesn't. Why not just have the database for each
> external device saved separately and the devices either grouped with
> media players or in another drop down/tab somewhere? It would seem to

That's exactly what Dynamic Collection does.  :-)  One thing you have to
remember though is that if you manually rescan the database (full
rescan, not an incremental rescan) it AFAIK dumps *all* tracks in the
database, regardless of what device they were scanned on.  Otherwise it
works, or is supposed to work at least, exactly as you said -- when a
device is plugged in and scanned, the scanned info is saved in the
database.  And since it uses HAL UDIs you don't even need to select
which drive it was on, it figures it out.

I've been working with Dave Walker off-list to try to sort out his
troubles.  When he tested it my way, it worked for him too, but it
seemed to have issues if drives were added/removed while Amarok is
running, so that might be the culprit.  I'm happy to debug with you too,
but you'll need to read my earlier posting and send the appropriate info
over.

--Jeff