External drive issue

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Fri Feb 22 19:39:18 UTC 2008

Sorry for changing the name of the thread but the damn spam filter has
rejected me 3 times already. Someone needs to look at that thing because
it is set way too strict at the moment. I have tried to send 3 messages
total to the list and 66% correct rate, if you don't add in the other two
tries which bring it to 2 correct and 3 false, is usually not acceptable
by most admins. Anyway here is what I have been trying to send.

Jeff,

Thank you for looking into this. I can even wait until 2.0 to be perfectly
honest.

I should know better than to pop onto a list and give, what is obviously,
not enough information to even start looking into something and then jump
on something. I would like to take time to apologize for that. It's a pot,
kettle, black thing as I am in the position of being the one answering
things on a couple of other lists. Please accept my sincere apologies for
being a jerk. I was having the opposite of a damn fine day and I took it
out on you and I shouldn't have.

I do use Gnome by default but I have tried this in kde (3.x and 4.0) to
see if it was a Gnome issue and I had the same issues. I actually did that
first because Gnome is not kde and Amarok is a kde project. I really wish
that Gnome and kde would get along better because my choice of desktop
should preclude me from cool features in great software. Before I go off
on a cooperation in open source rant I'll stop this train of thought and
move on.

What I would honestly like to see, and it's not the same as the dynamic
collection feature, is external devices handled in a similar manner to
media players. I control two ipods, 1 sansa, and one other (the name
escapes me at the moment) via Amarok, on Gnome honestly, and have no
issue. I select the device through a drop down and transfer files and so
on. I manage the families music collection nicely this way. If an
"External Drive" option were added to the same area and it saved the
database of files based on that then I could plug in any drive, scan it,
and be good to go anytime I plugged it in and selected the drive. It could
even be done by mountpoint on Ubuntu but I realize that won't work
everywhere which is why I suggested volume name. I understand the dynamic
collection is supposed to work in this manner but it really doesn't. Why
not just have the database for each external device saved separately and
the devices either grouped with media players or in another drop down/tab
somewhere? It would seem to solve the problem and even work on Gnome
without any extra code or cooperation from Gnome.

I have tested other media players and even though I am using a stock
Ubuntu install (most of the time) Amarok is still the best out there even
with this damn annoyance.

Best Regards,

Mark

Best Regards,