External media handling

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Feb 22 00:37:15 UTC 2008

Dave Walker wrote:
> No. It's broke. Plain and simple. And ignoring what Mark and I are
> saying doesn't change that fact.
>
> I'm really sorry to receive that response from you. It was reading a
> long exchange you had with another user that convinced me not to give
> up on amarok after I lost my collection for the umpteenth time.

Dave--

I don't actually know what you want me to say.  As I said before, I
don't use Dynamic Collection.  I've never used Dynamic Collection.  I
don't know why it would or wouldn't be broken.

I also never said I wouldn't be looking into it -- I already started
*that*.

Don't assume that issues reported on the list are ignored.  This thread
spawned out of a user requesting a feature that already existed without
giving enough information to determine that he was using a version of
Amarok where it exists and should be working.  Now two of you have
reported having recent versions where it's not working -- that's a
different beast altogether.

One thing I can tell you up front is that it should work better in
Amarok 2, at least for unmounted local disks (including universal serial
bus devices) because of Solid and the ability to use hardware
abstraction layer unique identifier values.  I don't know about Samba or
network file system though.

(If you're wondering why I'm spelling things out and lowercasing, my
initial reply was rejected because the spam filter thought all the
acronyms were nasty things.)

--Jeff