External media handling

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Thu Feb 21 22:52:42 UTC 2008

Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote on 02/21/2008 04:27:21 PM:

> mark.potter at academy.com wrote:
> >
> > I have 3 external drives on which I have different parts of my music
> > collection. One is at work, one is a travel drive, and one is 500GB I
> > use at home. I would like to know if there is a way to preserve the
> > collections by drive name or some such since it pretty much sucks
> > having to scan the collection every time I plug in at a new place. Any

> > advice would be greatly appreciated. As far as a feature request I
> > think it would be awesome to be able to save collections by volume id
> > which would solve my problems very nicely. I am hoping there is just
> > something I have overlooked that already handles this.
> Amarok already does this since, I don't know, version 1.4.2 or so.
>
> --Jeff

I am using 1.4.8 on Ubuntu (Gutsy) at the moment and am still having to
rescan my collection for each drive. Maybe an explanation of how it works,
as I said I am hoping it is something easy I have missed, so that I can
try and get it working for me? Are they handled as Media Devices? I don't
see any reference to external drives in the options. If I need to
configure them as media devices I can probably figure that out but if they
are handled in a different manner then I am honestly at a loss.

In fact, according to the wiki "Amarok currently does not support tracks
on removable devices very well. " this is under the dynamic collection
entry which is the only relevant result when searching for "external
drive" or "external media" on the wiki and while these entries are old
there is no newer information available.

Don't get me wrong I love Amarok and have for a very long time. It is, by
far, the best media player I have ever used. However I didn't expect
sarcasm the first time I came to the list with a problem. I did expect
some help or, I don't know, at least a nudge in the right direction. Maybe
I should have been more clear and included the Distro and version. Maybe I
am just an idiot who can't find the feature he needs. Either way it
doesn't do what I am asking, at least not easily, since, I don't know,
version 1.4.2 or so.

--Poor Sap Actually Trying To Get Help