Spurious chirp at start of MP3 file playback

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 20 00:20:01 UTC 2008

Some files that I've encoded using lame with the "standard" preset play
back with a chirp at their start.  The chirp doesn't appear when the
file is played using mpg123 or xmms, but always does (for these files)
using xine, so it appears to be an artifact of the xine decoding engine.
If I cut the selection at a slightly different place (using audacity)
before MP3 encoding the chirp can be eliminated.  The waveform displayed
in audacity looks quite flat at the start of the selection.

I have a recording of the chirp in context, which I can send to whoever
wants it, but at 0.8 Mbytes it seems a little long to post to the list.

Any ideas?

Thanks - jon