Absolutely awesome plasmoid idea: the playlist itself

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon Dec 22 01:01:34 UTC 2008

On 21 Dec 2008, at 18:50, Seb Ruiz wrote:

> 2008/12/22 Jud Craft <craftjml at gmail.com>:
>> I was messing around with the panes (just upgraded to Fedora 10 and
>> Amarok 2) when I noticed the look of the UI after collapsing the
>> playlist pane.  And I thought...hmm...looks awesome.  See attached.
>>
>> So here's the killer idea.  Why not make the playlist itself a
>> plasmoid?  Then you can give the user the ability to arrange his
>> music
>> workspace any way he wants, without the feeling of an arbitrary
>> "third
>> pane" tacked on.
>
> I must say, this certainly is an interesting idea. We should discuss
> the pros/cons of this idea, as well as whether it aligns with the
> direction that we want Amarok to take.

My immediate reaction is this could be cool, but for a few things:

1) complexity. I think we could very easily go down the route of
everything-is-customizable-while-nothing-is-simple.
2) speed? while we can embed widgets directly in a qgraphicsscene,
speed-wise i don't think it is exactly comparable to them being
native. and then we need to deal with resizes and mouse events, etc.

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680
Tufts University 2010