Absolutely awesome plasmoid idea: the playlist itself

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 00:38:12 UTC 2008

I was messing around with the panes (just upgraded to Fedora 10 and
Amarok 2) when I noticed the look of the UI after collapsing the
playlist pane.  And I thought...hmm...looks awesome.  See attached.

So here's the killer idea.  Why not make the playlist itself a
plasmoid?  Then you can give the user the ability to arrange his music
workspace any way he wants, without the feeling of an arbitrary "third
pane" tacked on.

Or better, take away all of the tabs on the left, and the collection
itself.  Instead, transform them all into plasmoid pages, and allow
them to be easily flipped through.  Allow the user to specify a
plasmoid page layout he likes:  two-pane-vertical/horizontal,
three-pane-horizontal, or one+two-vertical-split.  It also gets rid of
the problem of having to manually render ugly vertical buttons. :)

I suppose the result would be not unlike those Microsoft Visual IDEs,
or Eclipse, where any pane of the UI can be dragged and docked to any
other pane.

I realize these ideas probably aren't great in and of themselves (what
would you do for defaults?  you'd need the playlist to be available in
the plasmoid view from launch, probably) but I thought they'd be an
interesting proposal for further refinement.  I like the idea of the
unified plasmoid view, since it puts all of the Amarok content under
the same user interface metaphor.

Sorry if someone's already come up with the idea; I don't believe it's
been mentioned here, so I couldn't resist. :)

PS:  That thing where switching service tabs at the left automatically
resets your custom pane arrangement is annoying.