Various Artists in Amarok 2.0

Trever Fischer wm161 at wm161.net
Tue Dec 16 15:44:52 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 10:24:58 am Jud Craft wrote:
> And now, I say again my main point:
> > I have to agree
> > with Stuart: My collection browser is way to full as long as collections
> > are not grouped under »Various Artists«. Just to remind you: If you do
> > not like that grouping, you can still select »Do not show under Various
> > Artists«. In that case, the compilation will be split up and shown under
> > every single artist.
>
> Recheck my #2 from my previous post -- my problem is that when you do
> _exactly_ this, Amarok fails to recognize the other tracks on the
> album.  Amarok essentially says "Either you're a compilation album or
> you're not an album at all, because I'm not grouping different artists
> on the same album unless you tell me to put it Under Various Artists."
>
> Which means that if you don't select Show under Various Artists, these
> tracks show up under List by Artist just fine, but then when you
> switch to List by Album, Amarok refuses to group them under the same
> album.
>
> This is my point:  Amarok thinks that if you refuse to flag a
> compilation album as such, it's not really an album.  And I think
> that's a problem:  it means that clicking "Show under Various Artists"
> actually does two things.
>
> 1.  Allows Amarok to group the tracks as an album
> 2.  Shows the album under Various Artists.
>
> I'm arguing that #2 is definitely handy for people who have large
> collections, no doubt.  But Amarok should ALWAYS do #1 -- I shouldn't
> have to click "Show Under Various Artists" just to get Amarok to
> realize those tracks are on the same album.
>
> My point is that A) Amarok should ALWAYS recognize compilations, and
> B) Sorting these compilations under Various Artists is good, but I'd
> prefer it to be an option, rather than mandatory, and even if you
> don't want to do that, Amarok should still recognize the compilations
> as albums under Album view, no matter what.

This makes the assumption that album names are globally unique, which they are
not. Its one thing to be a compilation album, and another to be two totally
different artists which happened to release the same album name. I'm certain
that if Bit Shifter released an album called "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap",
AC/DC wouldn't be on there. Now, AC/DC might try and sue Bit Shifter under the
premise that he is 'stealing' their album name so it would probably change
later, but thats another discussion entirely.