Various Artists in Amarok 2.0

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:49:19 UTC 2008

Alright, I'll concede that your collection must be kinda crazy.  But I
think what I have identified is fairly sane behavior.

What if Amarok waited until there were a certain number of
compilations before grouping them under a second heading?  You did
admit yourself that the main reason you prefer it is merely to save
browsing space; I argue that this is the only reason, and that it
cannot possibly yield any positive organizational sense, aside from
the pre-existing familiarity with the scheme that an Amarok user would
have.

At the very least, the problem with Amarok 1.4 should be fixed:  for
albums which are not marked as compilations (whether intentionally or
by accident), Amarok should still group those songs on the album when
the artists are separate (as opposed to failing to do so).  It should
stop making a distinction between "Albums by Artist X" and "Albums
that have Artist X", and merely use "Albums with Artist X".

That would make me quite happy, as I could organize and browse my
albums successfully with complete ignorance of the compilation flag,
while others would appreciate it's convenience as they wish.  :)