Various Artists in Amarok 2.0

Jan Holthuis jan at holmek.de
Mon Dec 15 16:12:37 UTC 2008

Handling compilations has still a few flaws in Amarok 2:

1:
This probably the most severe bug:
Let's say you have a compilation (an album by that contains tracks by multiple artists). Because amarak doesn't recognize automatically that it's a compilation, it displays each artist with his own album. If you select some albums in the collection browser, then rightclick and using »Show under Various Artists«, it works just fine. Unfortunatly, if you forgot to do that to one single track (and therefore one single »album«), Amarok creates a second VA-album that contains all the tracks before plus the one you just added.

2:
In Amarok 1.4 I often entered the compilation's name into the collection's quicksearch box. Then I expanded one artist entry so see the album, did a CTRL+A and did a rightclick and used »Show under Various Artists«. Now that doesn't work anymore. Instead I have to expand every singe artist and only select their albums (via CTRL+Leftclick). That a big disadvantage in comparison to Amarok 1.4.10 (at least for me)

3:
It's also very annoying that every time you do what I described in no. 2, »Local Collection« in the collection browser is collapsed.

4:
The way compilations are displayed in the playlist is not very nice, especially if the collection contains 2 tracks by the same artist and one of them is right behind the other one. Then you have something like this:
→ http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/280/lol1dx6.png (I kinda faked the example by dragging the same track into the playlist twice, but I hope you get the idea)
Instead, it could be something like this (mockup):
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8840/lol2yd6.png

But for all that, Amarok 2 Is a great player and I'm looking forward to future versions. (especially versions with a working queue manager :D)
Jan Holthuis