improved representation of bias

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 02:54:49 UTC 2008

On Sunday 14 December 2008 21:36:53 Simon Bühler wrote:
> What was really disappointing though - even setting the similarity slider
> to 100% produces a playlist, where a randomize() would produce the same
> results; imo led zeppelin isn't really similar to redman and paul van dyk -
> i feel the fingerprint algorithm is not working in a usable way.

I assume that you ran the GTACFeat tagger program on all your audio files so
that they'd have embedded fingerprints?  If they all have null fingerprints,
then Amarok will think they're similar.  This behavior does need to be
changed; that's why the code is still experimental.

And I will say that acoustic similarity calculation isn't an exact science by
any means.  The current similarity algorithm in GTACFeat is quite simple, and
even the best similarity calculation algorithms aren't nearly as good as a
human.

--
Soren Harward
stharward at gmail.com