No Playback Fedora 10 64-bit

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 12:32:26 UTC 2008

2008/12/7 Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu>:
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> Fedora doesn't support nonfree/patented codecs out of the box, so that's
>>> the expected behavior of amarok when playing such items (mp3, aac)
>
>> Too bad we don't get a more useful diagnostic.
>
> amarok folks, what say you?  Is something like this (a more useful error) within amarok/phonon reasonably possible?

usually distros like fedora and opensuse build with a limited edition
of xine-lib. for that reason you should first update your xine-lib
to support the codecs and then reinstall phonon (you might need to use
a different precompiled version of phonon than the one
provided by the official version) and then amarok should work. also
wma (version 9 mainly) files don't really play on linux.

--
dott. ing. beso