Abstract idea of Song instead of pure file management

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 02:08:39 UTC 2008

On Tue December 2 2008 3:50:10 pm Gary Steinert wrote:
<snip>
> One way I can see this working automatically is introducing some sort of
> transcoding functionality into Amarok. I don't know how possible this would
> be, but surely there is a library out there that will take most of the work
> out of adding the feature.
>
> This way, if a track is transcoded within Amarok, it would be far easier to
> flag it as the same song in a different format. Other than this I can see
> there being quite an involved UI required.

This would work well with something I personally would like; my cellphone (a
Nokia XpressMusic 5310) can have songs put on it (if I RTFM correctly) with
either simple file transfer onto the memory card or using some proprietary
Nokia Windows-only program. I'd like Amarok to be able to transcode my music
(FLAC files ripped from CD) into medium-low bitrate MP3 files that I can put on
the memory card. Then Amarok would store these MP3s with the FLACs so I don't
re-transcode everything every time, and wouldn't pop up duplicate entries.

Henry de Valence

> Just an idea anyway
>
> Gary Steinert

<snip>